Sunday, August 9, 2009

So Long, Farewell

Today was my last day in London. I have truly grown accustomed to this place, and feel more like a resident now than a tourist. For one thing, I don't find the need to bring out my camera whenever I see something new (I'm going to attribute that to being less-touristy than tired). And for another, the thought of leaving London is making me sick. Seriously. I started to fall sick this morning, and now I have a sore throat.
I left all by my lonesome to the borough of Hammersmith this morning, to see a clothing store I had passed by earlier last week. Everything in that store was £5, and they had incredibly cute things. So I waited for nearly 45 minutes at the mall, before the shop (called Lime Soda) opened, and I got some really cute dresses for super cheap. After that, I had just enough time to commute from Hammersmith to Liverpool Street to meet up with friends to go to Petticoat Lane, a huge Sunday market with all sorts of clothes and accesories for dirt cheap prices. We spent about an hour there and then walked to the Tower of London. We decided to get lunch at a Dim Sum place on St. Catherine's Docks before we went to the Tower, and so that was a lot of fun.
The Tower of London was fantastic. Unfortunately, we couldn't dedicate as much time as we should have owing to the fact that we still had things to get done in the day, mainly packing. We got an excellent tour from one of the Yeomen at the Tower, looked at an exhibity of Henry VIII's armor, the Crown Jewels and some torture devices that were used at the Tower. We then hurried to Oxford Circus to finish some last minute shopping and then went to Westminster to see Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament one last time. We took buses to a lot of these places and so went via a lot of the big parts of town, in effect seeing them for the last time and thus being able to say goodbye. Every so often I had to choke back tears at the sight of something simple like a red post box or a sign that read City of London or Westminster, as the case may have been. Finally, around 9pm we got back to Hampstead, having taken our last tube ride from Great Portland Street to Finchley Road, got pizza for dinner, and then sat down to pack our belongings. I am definitely worried about the weight, and am concerned for my back considering I'm stuffing all superfluous things in my backpack.
I'm now going to go spend the rest of the night watching a movie and talking with my friends, trying not to be too sad about going home to Murray. London has been....more than words could ever describe, and if there's anything I know, it's that the city life suits me a lot. I still have a lot of unfinished business here, so I have to come back at some point and take care of all those things (Poets Corner, for example, was left univisited). I love public transportation way too much to ever worry about getting a car, and I wish America ran on trains.
This, then, will be my last blog from London. I may post some pictures from today after I get back to Murray. I hope I have done a good enough job giving descriptions of my ever so busy days, and slight insights into the life here. I didn't, for many reasons, include every single observation I made, but I'm sure a conversation or two with me, will rectify that.
I'm glad to have had this opportunity in London. Now that this place has been seen sufficiently, I only have all the other places in the world to visit.

1 comment:

  1. I hope as I type this you are having a safe trip home, and glad to be there. I bet your adjustment will be hard but I'm glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete